Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bring it on



2012 that is! I am ready for this new year. I can't wait to see what it holds for us. Lives can change in a year and I am excited for some positive changes to come our way! I am in the middle of packing up our house right now. And as I was doing so I had an epiphany; I have too much CRAP. I don't need it. I don't need undershirts in every color of the rainbow, I don't need my high school basketball shoes, I don't need half of the stuff I have. So I made a new years resolution (which is different from a goal) I am going to rid my life of the crap. I am going to get RID of the things I don't NEED. I am giving myself an intervention. There will probably be tears and possibly things from 10 years ago that I just can't give up but I am going to do it. And you know what? I'm really excited! I want to become a minimalist. I don't want clothing to be something that I am attached to, or that I do to fill a void ( I am a shop-a-holic). So any of you out there that have any tools, tricks or advice please share! I'll keep you updated on my progress!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

So I threw out a TON of clothes (and other junk I don't need) when we moved, and it felt AMAZING! My mom had a lot of clothes too, and she actually went to a clutter class during education week and she told me a few things she learned and this is what stuck: Go through all your clothes and get rid of half. Then, when you buy clothes in the future, always get rid of an article of clothing for each article of clothing you buy. That prevents you from over accumulating and keeping things around that you don't actually need! (the other idea behind is that your clothes will always only take up a certain amount of space, and since your space isn't increasing, you shouldn't be increasing things that take up space) I've been doing that since we moved and it's really hard, but it feels good to not have loads of clothes. Anyway, don't know if that helps or not, but it's helped me :) Good luck! Wish I was around to sift through all your clothes your getting rid of! ;)

Mrs. Hornberger said...

Ive been really good at this lately. Its I just throw every thing away. When we were in Utah Id take stuff to the D.I . cuz you can just drop it off at the drive thru and speed away. Just put every thing in trash bags and dont think twice.

Katie said...

I always have so much to throw out each time I move. I don't know how it happens. My tip is if the clothes are in nice shape and still in fashion, take them to Plato's Closet, get some money for them (though probably less than you deserve), and use the money to buy cute organizational bins for your new house.