Monday, October 12, 2009

I have this....

Swine flu. Yep. How did it happen? Not sure. Probably all those sweet children I work with that you send to school even though they are sick. Thanks for that. Here's how it happened. Saturday I felt A-OK, went out for our day events and then in the evening threw up, I thought it was because I had waited too long to eat. Then we got back to our friends house and I didn't feel so great but didn't think anything of it. I had a little cough. We got home and I felt like crap. I was coughing all night. Went to bed and woke up feeling like death was hiding in the corner. I had a fever and cough. Swine flu had not been an option in my head. Then I threw up again. Then we my fever kept going up and I was feeling worse we went to the Urgent Care. They said it. Those dirty words. Swine flu. They tested me but because their is only one testing center and that is in SLC they wouldn't know until tomorrow. Because I'm pregnant they didn't want to risk it. So they put me on some swine flu meds. We went home after a very upsetting visit to the pharmacy and I took my meds. Not an hour later I threw up again. I called my OB and he said just try small sips but if I can't get hydrated we would need to go to the ER. I threw up directly after talking to him and every half hour after that. So we headed to the ER. I threw up there but they were so good to me and were worried about the baby so they put me in a private room until they could get me a bed. The nurse had the hardest time getting my veins for blood work and an IV. It was a painful experience to begin with and then when she couldn't get my vein I though I was going to die. I'm a baby. They got us a room and put two liters into me through an IV. They gave me some anti-nausea meds and some more meds for the swine flu. They checked the baby and all is well. We were able to go home after about 6 hours. I felt horrible today and spent the majority of it sleeping and fighting my fever. I did drink a whole Carmel apple cider from Starbucks and ate a pumpkin scone. I have been working on drinking water. It's not been an easy task. But I feel good enough to write this down so that's a plus. I have complete faith in prayers. I am grateful to those who have been praying for me so far and would appreciate any prayers if you feel so inclined. I was and still am concerned about our baby. It's funny. I thought I wanted a girl. I thought bows and dresses would be so fun. I can honestly say I don't care what this baby is so long as it's healthy. ( I still love bows ;) Please don't tell me how dangerous the swine flu is for pregnant people. I know. I have heard it from the urgent care, the pharmacist, the ER etc. I don't need to worry any more. The best thing I can do is take the medicine and stay hydrated. I wanted to let those of you who have heard some of the story know what's going on and also document this for myself. I really hope all of you are healthy and washing hands often, wear a mask if you feel so inclined. It's how I'm rolling these days.

10 comments:

MeganandClaudy said...

you poor thing. Please let me know if you need anything. I feel 'so inclined' so I'll def keep you in my prayers. You're tough...I don't have any doubts you'll be fine by tomorrow...if that!

KRISTIE said...

i love you, you'll be fine, don worry be happy, watch 50 first dates and take a nap! and think about a beach vacaction
there did that take your mind off all of your stress, let me worry for you, okay!
I love you

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, Kendra! I am so sorry -- and here you've been throwing up for the last month or so, and right when you should get to stop throwing up, it gets worse.

Sending happy thoughts (and prayers) your way. At least you get to eat whatever you want and watch movies in bed. Too bad the new Star Trek isn't out -- that would be a good stay at home movie :)

Janneke said...

I'm so sorry!!! That's awful! And I just found out that you're pregnant!!! So fun. congrats!! Okay, enough exclamation marks. I miss your fun personality in our ward, but I hope you're doing well where you're at now. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.

The Murdocks said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you got the swine flu. I hope you are feeling better. we will pray for you and your baby :) Oh, and I love carmel apple cider from Starbucks! I'm so sad that we don't live close to one at all. oh well.

Sara said...

First off congrats on the pregnancy! So exciting.

So I just checked your blog while "blog hopping" saw this, and yes I will be going to get my swine flu shot tomorrow. I debated it, but now that I know someone who has it first hand (and someone who works with kids too...) I don't want to risk it (I'm 8 months pregnant.) Hope you feel better soon and you are in our prayers.

Melissa said...

Im sorry!! That is awful! I hope you feel better soon. Congrats on the baby too! :)

Corinne said...

Hey friend! Hope you are 'Swine Free'....we miss you guys! Love you! xoxo

Sam and Steph said...

Kendra, you're not supposed to kiss the pigs...just teach them how to talk. Glad we cleared that up ;-)

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Sabby said...

That is awful, I hope you are feeling better! It is true you will be fine and that little baby will be all worth it! Take care!