Friday, March 21, 2008

Welcome to the 21st Century

Here I am in Provo, Utah and have experienced many "You know your in Utah when" moments. Utah is really pretty and has lots of outdoor things to do. It has its downs too, like the people. So Caleb and I went into a store and we had to fill out some information and give our names. I gave my name, Kendra P. And Caleb gave his. The girl stops and looks at us and says "Oh I thought you were married" and we said we are married. And she thinks for a second and goes "Oh I'll change her name for her". And I said "no, thanks" Caleb is telling her not to as well. Then she looks at Caleb and says "She doesn't really NOT want to change her name does she?" All the while NOT acknowledging that I am right in front of her. So Caleb tells her "No, she doesn't want to change her name". The girl very offended that I think for myself and am not stuck but some rules that have NO meaning to me asks "Why would she not want to change her name?" I inform her that its my name and just because I got married does Not mean that I lost my identity, also that name has background. Kendra Porter has graduated from a University, you can come see the Diploma. She has traveled numerous different countries and has experienced numerous different things. Turns out the girl changed my name anyway and so the next time I saw her I made her change it back. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS LIKE THIS???
Don't answer that because I am afraid the answer will be YES. Let me clarify. Caleb and I got married and SIX weeks later moved to Taiwan. I didn't have time to change my name and get my new passport. So I kept it. We got back, moved to Utah and I admit I haven't changed it yet. Am I planning on it? Yes. However, I am lucky enough to have a husband that doesn't expect me to change my name. But lets become forward thinkers here. Lets move past the 1920's where the only role women have is in the shadow of her husband. Imagine a world where you don't have to change your name. ( Why don't the men?? It's not like its just as EASY for them to do it as it is for women). Imagine a world where even if are a name changer ( like I will be one day) you don't force that upon other women. Don't criticize them or cringe at the thought that they can be so independents. And certainly do NOT change THEIR name for them.

This sounds anti-men, but its not. It's anti-women being pro- women. I am sure its just that I am living in this bubble where the people don't always think for themselves and have a bad case of tunnel vision. Don't worry mom, I will change my name but please lets grow a little tolerance here.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You GO Girl! Where is this girl at? You could write a formal complaint to her boss which is exactly what I would do. I write nasty letters as a habit.

Katie said...

By the way, you can edit your post to change that wording if you want to.

KRISTIE said...

dave doesn't even know what my real legal name is.

Katie said...

Do Not ChANge your name, Utah is jacked, dont say I dodnt warn you. I would talk to her boss, and let her know that someone changed your name without your permission, it may be illegal. She is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kelly

Katie said...

Kelly Really said that last comment, I dont know why it is posting as katie
But it is me KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabby said...

I am glad that you said something, I know good number of people who have not and are not going to change their name. I did but it was not easy and I have to say I do miss mine a bit.