Friday, August 24, 2012

Mama Camp

I was able to go down to California a week before our family vacation. I drove down with my mom and was able to help (?) with Camp Mama. My mom does this every year. A frist I thought she was a saint. After camp Mama I think she might be crazy ;). This was so much more work than I ever knew. Granted my child has never taken part of this camp as he is too young. He sure thought he was a big boy this whole week. As I mentioned, this was a lot more work than I ever knew. And not for me. For my mom. She had to buy food to feed everyone for the week. I never imagined how much little kids ate! She took them to art camp in the morning and had activities planned everyday. It was a stay over most of the time, for the kids that live close they had to go home some nights (not their fault, they just lived close) I was recovering from a sinus infection and a cold and pman got my cold and wasn't sleeping, so I was a bit more grumpy than I should have been and I regret that. But all those kids make a LOT of noise! I loved watching pman this week. When they left for camp he had to go to and was heartbroken when he couldn't go to the camp with them. I felt like he grew up so much that week. I loved seeing him with his cousins and realized how much we miss out by not living near family. My favorite part of this week was watching my mom. What an AMAZING woman. I know she was exhausted even before the camp began but she was so good to her grandchildren. Engaging them, teaching them, listening and loving them. It was remarkable. I thought I had some really great grandparents. My children are a million times luckier in the grandparent department than even I was. My mom was cute with all her crafts, we tye dyed, painted, made cars, made stepping stones, played slip in slide and in the kiddie pool. I need to get more pictures from my niece Mattie. My favorite day was when we played on the slip and slide. I got involved and would slide on my knees. I would also spray the kids with the hose and for some reason they loved this! It was so fun to be a part of their fun. I sure love those kids. Another favorite was watching my mom teach her grandkids about treasures. She told them a few sweet stories about her parents and the treasures she has from them and then gave them a little treasure to take home. It totally made me tear up and I was so grateful to be a fly on the wall for that. My mom is amazing. I told her she should never do mama camp again! It's so much work, but reflecting back I don't see how she can stop. Maybe just three days? I hope Porter and Shirley can go to a few more Mama camps. In the end the fights, the drama, the screaming, the tiredness just don't compare to the smiles and giggles and sweet memories. Thanks for letting me experience it mom!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Love it and I want those pictures!

Rach said...

I always thought your mom was amazing...this is just further proof! Porter and baby girl are lucky to have her as their grandma!! =)