Saturday, April 30, 2011

Just a mom- I'll probably get slapped for this...

But I can take a hit so here it goes. It may be that I have had a crazy month, it may be that I'm tired,no exhausted. But it's probably because I'm sick and tired of snide remarks. And I enjoy an honest blog.

I work. Three days a week. 21 hours a week, not including lunch and commute. So really I get paid for 21 hours of work a week. And then I pay my babysitter. I don't work for fun. I don't work for entertainment. I work for my family. When Caleb started his new job he didn't get insurance for 90 days. So I went back to work FULL time. Because I was raised by hard-working republican parents who installed a good work ethic in me. And because I understand that when you get "state" aid it is coming straight from the hard working AMERICAN citizens. So I sucked it up and went to work. Now, I am fortunate enough to have an amazing job that allowed me to go part time.

Because why do I have to chose? Why do I have to pick from being a mom or being a career woman? Men don't have to choose. Why can't I have a little bit of both. Well, I am blessed. And I do. And I thank God everyday in my prayers for this blessing.

It doesn't make it a hobby though. It is NOT an escape from the occasional monotony of being a stay at home mom. It is work. And it is hard. So please do not come up to me and say:"oh how nice for you" or "wow, that's great you get a little 'me' time". Because I am so sick of it. And because it simply is not true. And since I'm already on a roll, don't tell me how busy you are. Because you are have WAY more time that a full time working gal, WAY WAY more time than a full-time working mama, and WAY more time than a part-time working mom, like me.

So when people say "JUST" a mom. It's because it's true. You are J-U-S-T a mom. And I think that is wonderful. You can dedicate all your time and energy to your family. It is hard I'm sure. But beautiful. And some days I envy that so much I could turn green. But then I look at my life, and my family, and the choices we are making and I am PROUD. And excited. So don't take that away from me. And don't let anyone take it away from you.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hornberger said...

umm who the crap says that going to work is "Me time"? they obviously dont know that "Me time" is not working for someone else. When I think of "Me" time I think of the kids being home with their dad, while Im going to get a pedicure, go shopping, or hang with friends, or even just taking a nap. Ignorant people bother me.

TT, Buzz and Kids said...

Couldn't agree more! Working is not me time especially in our line of work. We don't get me time in our line of work. We are busy with other peoples kids! I would give anything to be a stay at home mom, but we sacrifice for our families.

MeganandClaudy said...

LIKE!

Katie said...

Seriously about the "me time" comments.

I don't know why people love labels so much about working moms or stay-at-home moms or whatever kind of mom a person may be.