Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fourth Half Marathon-Provo City May 7, 2011






This was my fourth half-marathon and if I were a quitter it would be my last. I woke up Saturday morning not feeling well at all. So, I took some meds. I found some pills in the cupboard and an old nasal drip so I sniffed that. Probably the worst thing to do before a race. Oh that and not train. I also did NOT train for this as well. (This race was three weeks after the SLC 1/2 that I trained for 3xs and finished in 1:55 or something) My sister Katie also ran it with me. She kicked my trash. And if you know how competitive I am, you know this was a bruise to my running soul, but I am happy and proud of her. Anyway I ran the first mile in 7.45 and continued that pace for the first 3 miles. I felt good. I felt fast. Then I felt sick. Like throw-up sick. And thirsty. And suddenly very sleepy. Note to self: don't self medicate before a race ever again. And that's pretty much the end. The other 10 miles all I could think about was drinking anything and finishing this stupid race. Katie caught up to me and I said good luck and never saw her again. I walked and walked and walked. It was like I was a pioneer. I walked more than a mile. And I drank 3-4 cups of whatever I could get my hands on at every aid station.I hated pretty much every minute of this race. I even yelled at the people standing near the finishing line that were not cheering. They sucked. The only cool thing were our bibs. Mine was 714 and Katie's was 909, both of which were our old area codes. But 2 hours and ten minutes later I finished. When I finished I cried. Only because I was mad. I wanted to shove that race in its race face. But Caleb told me to learn from it and grow. So I did. I got a trainer. That's right. I have a running coach. And I am loving it. My running has improved so much and I'm pretty sure I am going to ROCK St. George FULL marathon in October!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I would hardly say I kicked your trash, but thanks :). I didn't love this race either.