Friday, May 29, 2009

Bittersweet

So today was my last day of work...until August. I woke up this morning and did a happy song and dance for the hubs in celebration of my last day. Little did I know 2 hours later I would be close to tears. I have a wonderful job. I am so blessed to work in a field that I went to school for. I am so lucky to LOVE my job. I am so lucky it has the best insurance and we can go to dr/dentist/eye guy ect. But what really made this year the best was the people I work with. In Utah my job is a Speech Language Technician. I have my BA in Comm Disorders. I work under a SLP. This is where my job can make or break it. Until I get my masters ( and I WILL get my masters) I cannot carry my own caseload. There are some perks here, ie: no IEP, paperwork, reports, meeting blahblahblah. But sometimes working "under" people can be a little trying. Not this year. I worked with the BEST SLP'S EVER!!! I worked with one who I will call J. I love her. She is so great. She is always encouraging and supportive of me and has been such a help in my life. The other is Rachel. Rachel- you said you were going to blog stalk me today so read on. Rachel is going to be 25 next month, has her MASTERS and her C's (don't worry if you don't know...it's impressive). She had a BABY in February and all though I never got to see her in PERSON she is the cutest baby ever. Rachel has moved to some place far away and wont be back next year, and while I never know if I get to work with the same people I am really sad to say goodbye. Working with downs, TBI, Rhett's, stutters, lips, apraxia, un-known, selective mutes, autistic, deaf, and obnoxious children, more so bothersome adults and all the snot, sneezes, coughs, tears, frustration that comes with this job- I L_O_V_E it! When summer comes I am usually so ready to get away from children and schools...not this time. Sure I am going to love going to the pool, hiking, camping, playing but I will miss everything about this year. Thank you Rachel and J!! Thanks Alpine School District. Thanks kiddos. I hope that even though this year is over, our friendships aren't. So with that, welcome summer. I'm glad your here but it's not the same this year...

highlights of this year:
~working with cool people
~fire drills
~Halloween (rachel I didn't forget what happened to your costume)
~Not gossiping but serious conversations about people
~Thursdays and Fridays
~A student stealing my lunch
~a student starting to talk
~seeing some serious success in some kiddos

lowlights of this year:
~driving to a different school everyday
~6 weeks bymyself everyday (kinda boring)
~realizing there is only so much I can do..
~working with some wonderful kids that have such sad, sad stories
~boring meetings
~lots of snot=me gagging
~the year ending...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I found your blog! I can't believe you wrote about me...but it made me laugh. Halloween costumes! But now I totally feel like scum for not bringing the babe to work. We MUST connect at the race or the "best fireworks west of the Mississippi" so you can hold her! I've got to e-mail you some pictures too...