Monday, November 21, 2011

Provo Halloween Half Marathon

Remember when I ran the St George Marathon and I said I was going to take a break from running? I lied. I have heard so much about this race over my past few years here in P-Town and I really wanted to run it. So I called my sister and she said no, I posted on facebook and my friends just laughed and then I kinda harassed my other friend and she said yes! I knew I didn't want to do this one alone. I was so happy to have a friend. I was the baby from Breaking Dawn. My bib says "My mommy loves a blood sucker" and Janelle was Batgirl. Good times.
Neither one of us trained for this and we were kinda worried it would hurt. And it did. It starts at the BYU lodge up in Sundance and you run down the canyon. And run all the way down Provo Canyon to the Riverwoods. It was definitely a fast course. I couldn't help but run under 8 min miles down the canyon and when it finally leveled I thought my legs were going to break. Then Janelle caught up and said "it's going to hurt anyway, mine as well make it count" And I was like "H-YES!" That's Halloween Half Yes for all you naughty minded people.
So we ran almost the entire way together and I was so glad to have someone to run with. We did some silly posses and talked a bit.
I finished in 1:49 52, a PR. I was 66th in my age division and ran an average pace of 8:22. I always feel like I could have done better but I am so happy with my time. I haven't worked on speed, ever, only distance and for not training I'm happy and proud. This is the first race that Caleb didn't see me finish (but not the last. He also missed me at a 5k a few weeks ago :). The course was beautiful,and the people were entertaining. The only thing I would change would be my wardrobe. I was confused. I thought it would be warm. I was freezing until 10 am the next morning. I even got a cold that turned into a sinus and ear infection. It was seriously cold. Happy running.

3 comments:

Katie said...

you go girl!

Janelle said...

Thanks for "harrassing" me. I loved it :)

Rebecca & Jeff said...

You are amazing! I need to start running again. Thanks for the inspiration and way to go on a new PR!! Especially without training!