Friday, March 25, 2011

I've lost the manual...

The baby manual, the Porter manual. You know the one that descends from the Heavens the moment your baby is placed in your arms and tells you everything you need to do and how to do it. Wait. You didn't get one? Oh no! How sad. Well I did...but it seems to be lost, probably from the move. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I need some help. Porter will be ONE on April 3rd. I will be DONE nursing him. Not sure how to ween him. He takes a bottle like a champ, and has been since I went back to work when he was 6 weeks old. But how do I DO it? I have been reading and reading and I am just not sure. It says to drop a feeding a day and then a few days later drop another, so do I just give him my stored milk? What if I don't have enough? And I have been reading how you should go straight to a CUP? Porter can drink water out of a cup when we hold it, he can hold it but he spills more than he drinks. So how does THAT work? I have had enough problems with breastfeeding and I really don't want to experience PAIN so I NEED YOUR HELP. Calling all moms!!! How do I do this thing???? Hopefully Porter's manual will turn up but until then I'm counting on you!

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

I just weened Trevor (he's barely 12 months). Every few days I cut out a feeding and would replace it with a bottle...I had to do formula because he wasn't quite a year but you can go straight to whole milk if he's a year. It took about 2-3 weeks. It wasn't painful at all. If I ever felt a little clogged, I would just have him nurse and it was fine. With my other boys, they were off of the bottle at 1 year. Since I nursed Trevor the longest, I feel like he's not ready to go straight to sippy cups yet. One battle at a time. Nursing is done. Next hurdle to jump is transitioning from bottle to sippy cup. I hope that helps a little. Just remember that everyone is different. What works for one mom or one baby doesn't work for another. You'll be fine. Just trust your instinct. Good luck!

TT, Buzz and Kids said...

I can't help you on the weaning as Aurianna chose to wean herself. With working she was down to 2 feedings then we cut out the morning and eventually she cut out the evening by herself. The thing I have found with the sippy cups is Aurianna has a hard time with those unless we hold it. So we use cups with straws. She has the sucking action down and she can hold it herself. We got Aurianna off the bottle by shortly after 1 year. We still have to tackle the binkie though. Good luck!

Mark and Kyra Herbst said...

Depending on what your pediatrician says, you could probably wean him straight to milk. My pediatrician was fine with that when Brielle was 11 months. We transitioned her to sippy cups at the same time. She did great - we just invested in the soft spout sippy cups first (more like a bottle) and then after a few months we gave her the hard spout ones. Good luck!